Skip to main content

Xl in Xen 4.1 of Debian wheezy

Another short story of Xen.

Since Xen 4.1, a new command line tool "xl" is introduced. According to the wiki page on xl of wiki.xen.org, xl will take place of xend toolstack.

Because PCI passthru and VGA passthru information is richer with xl than xm in the Internet, I became interested in xl.

So, I have tried several times to use xl to create domU under my Xen 4.1 environment.
But "xen create " subcommand wouldn't bring up a domU virtual machine.

Finally, I gave up with Xen 4.1 of wheezy and tried xl in Xen 4.3 of jessie.
Just adding device_model and device_model_override item in the domU's configuration file, domU virtual machine brought up.

I wonder this might be one of the reasons the xl toolstack is not default of Xen 4.1.

If you dare to use xl in Debian GNU/Linux, install Xen packages and add the following line in /etc/default/xen :

TOOLSTACK=xl

Note: virsh does not seem to work with xl, as far as I tried in my wheezy box.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Configuring Network Manager for PPPoE connection

When I'm home, I use fiber-optic line with a dedicated old small router (YAMAHA RT107e) for access to the Internet. But I recently became anxious about the router. If it fails, how can I survive until I get another one? So, I tried to connect my Debian desktop PC to the fiber-optic line without the router. The PC have to talk to the other side of the line with PPPoE but I did not know how. In my PC, the Network Manager manages network configuration. So, I had to configure the Network Manager to utilize the pppoe like : nmcli connection add ifname eth0 connection.type pppoe username USERNAME password PASSWORD

Xen on Squeeze failed to start up the X server with an Intel graphics controller

I recently tried to set up Xen on my Squeeze box, with intel 945GM graphics controller. I followed the instruction on Xen - Debian Wiki . I installed the Xen hypervisor, kernel, xen-tools and other stuff, then created a domU image of Ubuntu natty. After that, I rebooted the system. But when X server was about to be launched, the screen became black out,  both keyboard and mouse don't work anymore. I reread the article on the wiki, and figured out the Xorg driver for Intel graphics controller  is suspicious. So, I changed the Xorg driver 'intel' to 'fbdev' wrting /etc/X11/xorg.conf , and rebooted.  This workaround works out! The drawback of the workaround is, 'intel' driver specific features, including DRI and XvMC, are disabled.

Some adjustment to run some daemon services within LXC container

 I built and am running a mail server, using dovecot for IMAP4 server and Power DNS (pdns) for DNS authoritative server, and memcached for back-end service for some mail filter. I also use LXC for staging environment to test my mail server, but running those services is not straight forward. My understanding is that it is because some security features of systemd using Linux kernel namespace function conflict with the use of namespace in LXC container. So, if you want to run memcached, dovecot, and pdns via systemd within LXC container, you have to disable some security features of systemd by configuration. My additional configuration to systemd is as follows: root@myhost:/# cat /etc/systemd/system/memcached.service.d/99-ns.conf [Service] ProtectSystem = no ProtectHome = no PrivateDevices = no PrivateTmp = no cat /etc/systemd/system/dovecot.service.d/99-ns.conf [Service] ProtectSystem = no PrivateDevices = no PrivateTmp = no root@myhost:/# grep -v '#' /etc/systemd/system/pdns.s